I felt comfortable with this task and answering these questions. It seemed to be able to consider for a moment what my path for the future was and how it would be achieved.
What is my practice?
I graduated from performing arts college back in 2006 and since then have done various jobs performing. Weather this be filming commercials, dancing on a cruise ship around the world or generally guest teaching at different dance schools. It wasn’t until last year that i had a chance to sit back and reflect on what i had achieved and it was convinced there was something else out there for me. Something bigger...
I’ve always wanted the challenge of running my own dance school and had this dream from a young age.
My best friend and I decided it was finally the right time to start some dance classes which would eventually build into a dance school. We realised there was was a massive gap for some street dance in the area and as this is a style we both love we couldn’t be more than excited to start some class. After a few months of planning and hard work we started the ‘BPM Dance Academy’ on Saturday mornings. We also branched out into various other opportunities including Workshops, After School Clubs and Birthday Parties.
It’s just coming up to a year that we have been open and to say I’m proud of our success is an understatement. Our started with 2 classes and 8 pupils and in less than a year have gained an excellent reputation and more than 7 classes a week with over 100 pupils! It’s great to be able to turn the dream into a reality. The next question for myself now is What’s Next?
What in your daily practice gets you really enthusiastic to find out more?
Since starting my own business up, i have been extremely enthusiastic about my line of work. I enjoy juggling between the creative side of teaching with choreography and also the business side. I’ve found it intensely rewarding to say that i taught myself a lot and to be able to sit back and say “I created that”
My biggest challenge was creating my own website. I had played around in the past with a few packages but as i wanted to create the ‘Perfect’ website, i knew i had to step it up to another level. I did all my research and found tutorials online to help me. I also had to find the right servers to host the website on and register the domain. There was a lot of trial and error at first but once i had finished the final product, i was proud of myself. I am enthusiastic about how i can always improve on my website and looking for new updates etc.
Have a look and see what you think - www.bpmdanceacademy.co.uk
What do you love about what you do?
Being a dance teacher has many great benefits. I see many children that come into my school that have never danced a step before in their lives. My biggest passion is watching a child develop and grow confidence as a dancer. I especially love a challenge and being able to teach a student who finds to hard to follow rhythm or choreograph are the biggest reward when you see that they have improved.
I struggle sometimes to be able to call what i do “Work.” Yes, it is how i earn a living. However, because this i something i enjoy so much and i am my own boss, I find it hard to be able to relate with the word “Work.” This is why i love that i do!
What don’t you understand?
As much i am fully enthusiastic about the business side of my company. There is a lot of topics that i am struggling to understand. It’s coming up to the end of my first tax year for our business and i am slightly worried about dealing with it. We have an accountant who will be helping us. However, I normally like to know everything that relates to the company and don’t just want to leave everything in their hands.
Another topic i would like to improve and research on is learning difficulties within children. As i teach over 100 children on a weekly basis. I’m have various children from all types of background’s and some with learning difficulties. This is not something i have really experienced before in the past and would like to be become more aware of it and know exactly what i am dealing with.
After finishing this task i have a better understanding of what i would possibly might be my line of inquiry. I am always looking at ways of improve my teaching in dance education and also the business side of running a company. It’s the combination of the both that will help improve my practice and prepare me for the future.

Great Luke - this is very straightforward in terms of professional focus. Your dance teaching practice and your business. It looks like you have already identified some areas that you would want to do some work on - and that is great. Carry on with Part 3 now - Part 2 looks inward - Part 3 outward - and that might give you ideas for your business.
ReplyDelete