After completing this task, i have found it to be incredibly rewarding but also a challenge.
Initially i was always a bit weary of writing a journal. I've never been one to record any of my personal thought's and feelings. At college we were asked to keep a journal to record our day to day activities but i remember never being able to keep up and filling it in at the last minute.
I decided to attempt the 9 suggestions of writing over the course of 9 days. I didn't want to use these suggestions on any old day. The thought of logging down a lazy sunday and reflecting on watching tv whilst eating wouldn't help me in anyway. So i would only write about my work days which took slightly longer than nine days as i don't have the usual 9 to 5 job.
I enjoyed recording down my entires in various ways. "Description" and "List" were quick and easy to record down my day and from an outsider's perspective it might be interesting to see what my typical day involves. However, i'm not sure these journal entries will help my with any reflection for the future.
"Initial Reflection","What If?" and "Evaluation" seemed to be the most rewarding. Looking back at the my entries, i can see how i was was feeling, what might have gone wrong and what i can improve on. "Initial Reflection" was how i would have normally written any journal entry. However, i sometimes found it hard to put thoughts to paper and really explain how i was feeling. I know what i wanted to say but i couldn't explain it? I’m sure looking back at this, it will be an interesting read.
My least favourite entries were "Graphs, Charts and Diagram." I didn't enjoy not being able to write down my day and express my feelings. I used the Graphs, Charts and Diagrams to record down my classes each day and compare them. I compared the focus, improvement and choreography each day between classes.
The last entry was writing from "Another View." This style of writing was intriguing and something i was completely new to. I enjoyed writing from the perspective of another person. I wrote my entry from the view of someone watching me teach one of my dance classes. The result was great and i discovered lots about myself and the way i teach. I'm sure this will be a valuable tool for the future to see areas that i can improve on without reflecting myself.
Once this task was finished, i realised that i really enjoyed the different ways to record a journal entry and that i'm no longer afraid to express my feelings in future journal entires. I'm now looking forward to writing my future journal entries instead of avoiding them.
The last entry was writing from "Another View." This style of writing was intriguing and something i was completely new to. I enjoyed writing from the perspective of another person. I wrote my entry from the view of someone watching me teach one of my dance classes. The result was great and i discovered lots about myself and the way i teach. I'm sure this will be a valuable tool for the future to see areas that i can improve on without reflecting myself.
Once this task was finished, i realised that i really enjoyed the different ways to record a journal entry and that i'm no longer afraid to express my feelings in future journal entires. I'm now looking forward to writing my future journal entries instead of avoiding them.

Was there a particular way that worked for you and you will stick to? I found I learnt about using a variety of methods. Was it the same for you?
ReplyDeleteHi Ahmet,
ReplyDeleteEven though it wasn't the most rewarding. I really enjoyed doing lists. It will be valuable to me in the future when i don't have enough time to write down a massive journal. However, yes a variety of methods will be introduced.
Yes a list is great for when you are busy, it also helps to really refine the reflection and pinpoint what you are finding, but the detail is hindered a little...
ReplyDelete