Pages

Thursday, 3 January 2013

Critical Reflection Portfolio - Module 2

Critical Reflection Portfolio

Module 2 has been a big stepping stone from the previous module with progression and being able to discover my own professional identity. It has provided me with a connection of great significance towards preparing for the final module.

Developing Lines of Professional Inquiry

Part 4 was a great introduction to creating a structure for my inquiry and begin applying theories to my professional practice. Learning to develop a set of questions (A) that query my practice was insightful and a learning curve. Initially split with which pathway my line of inquiry would be (B), I learnt to explore the environment in which I work and what areas needed improving. Using communication tools introduced to me in Module 1, by blogging my emerging questions i was able to use fellow practitioner comments (B) to regain confidence in my proposal. 

Professional Ethics

Ethics was an unfamiliar topic of interest for me but after finishing Reader 5 I was inspired to reflect on what ethics I have been using in my professional practice (C). Creating a list of my own ethics and comparing them with a school I guest teach at, as well as my business partner’s ethics, was a great introduction to applying any ethical standards that were absent (D).

In preparation for my professional inquiry, I was able to consider that my line of work with children would be a strong area of ethical concern when dealing with research. Oliver (2003) suggests that a “teacher researching students affords their professional status more authority and could influence attitudes to an inquiry.” It has given me a new insight into how much work I should undertake when creating ethical guidelines for my future collation of research.

Tools of Professional Inquiry

The final part of this module taught me the foundations of data collection and the tools I will be using as part of my line of inquiry. Reader 6 presented me with four main research methods, I was able to pilot these and reflect in preparation for my final inquiry. This enabled me to determine which tools I would be using in my eventual plan and the work required for each method. 

A crucial task of Part 6 that was relevant in the development of my inquiry questions, was identifying three pieces of literature (E)(F)(G) that were related to my evolving ideas. After discovering literature that linked to my interests of negative attitudes to males in dance, I reflected on my own professional practice where I found that specifically I was lacking adolescent boys, but not males in general.

Summary

This module has given me new inspiration of ways in which I can not only enhance my own learning but to also improve my business. Initially I was uncertain of my questions and struggling to choose a direction for inquiry plan, but I am now confident that I have chosen the correct topic of interest and I am keen to get started in terms of seeking answers to questions and strengthening my professional practice. 


References

Oliver, P. (2003) The students guide to research ethics. Maidenhead: Open University Press

No comments:

Post a Comment