Pages

Thursday, 23 February 2012

Task 1b: Professional Communication Technologies

My initial thoughts after finishing the first "reader" of the programme was that i knew more about Web 2.0 than i imagined. If you had said to me a while back "What is Web 2.0", i probably would have looked at you blanked face and i'm pretty sure that millions of other people would as well, even though it is now in our lives everyday.

I have to admit that i seem to have grasped onto social networking quite early on back in 2005 with Myspace. Even then i realised what potential it could have as a networking tool as users were uploading their music and letting listeners comment or simply become fans. Artists such as Kate Nash and Lily Allen were discovered on Myspace

I'm pretty positive about Web 2.0 and believe it to be a extremely useful tool for artists in the performing arts industry. An excellent example of this happend to me on a previous job a few years back. The reason being is that i was hired from a Youtube video from a company in Australia.
I remember someone mentioning to me that there was a great company in Australia that hired dancers for Cruise Ships. I emailed the company with the hope of them letting me know when they would next be visiting London and holding auditions.
They replied back to me and asked me to send them a showreel of any previous work i had done and of myself dancing. My best option was to upload to Youtube and send them the link......
Within days i was given a contract onboard a ship cruising round Australia and New Zealand and was flying out to them no more than a month later.

My showreel has since been updated, but this will give you a rough idea......



After doing a bit more research for Web 2.0. I came across this fantastic video which showed you how the web had evolved from the beginning to what it is now. The web is no longer just linking information. The web is linking people. We are the web.










1 comment:

  1. Like, I like this idea of us, the world being the web. It really points out how reliant Web 2.0 is on people connecting and participating. I have started working on part 2 of the module (take a look), but it's been good to read your work and check in with the learning in part 1.

    ReplyDelete