Pages

Wednesday, 25 January 2012

And So It Begins...

My introduction to the world of BAPP started yesterday and to be honest, i'm having mixed emotions.

On the way back from my induction (a 2 hour drive) i couldn't help myself from thinking of all the topics that i would like to include in my modules, what sort of title i might be choosing, how was i going to start my blog? This obviously means that i'm excited about starting a new chapter in my life. However, i also seemed to panic quite a lot after reading some parts of the module handbooks etc. Do students just get used to this? Does it become easier? Or am i just panicing, because i haven't done anything like this since leaving school in 2003.

 We were asked yesterday to look up the words "Systematic" and "Rigorous" which can both be placed under the theme of "Academic." I had no problem finding my queries to "systematic" and many sources seemed to explain perfectly for me what i was looking for. But "rigorous" seemed to be quite hard to find an explanation or more simplified breakdown until i came across this quote about Rigorous Learning.
Think about chocolate for a moment. You can read a dictionary definition of chocolate, but to really know what it is, you have to taste it. To really understand rigorous learning, you have to experience it.
I'm pretty sure that i will be experiencing some rigorous learning during my time on the BAPP course....

5 comments:

  1. Hey Luke, I too came home to look up the words. I really like the chocolate analogy. Its all about the taste and the experience. As hungry we are for the end qualification we need to get caught up in the journey and drink in the experience the learning will bring...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, great profile. I have just started the profile task (task 1a), so now I'm on the look out for good profiles. Yours is great, lists are boring but yours kind of take you through your experience and a casual unpretentious way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi luke i didn't make it to the induction but also did enjoy reading the quote you found! we both seem to now be aiming for a similar direction with our work as im now looking to going more into the teaching side of things so hopefully we can share some knowledge as the course goes on.Also your pictures are great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys. Just seen these comments as been away and still getting to grips with blogging, but think i have finally worked it all out! Can start on my first tasks. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes that word 'rigour' is a strange one - like the chocolate quote too - ok so I just googled rigour and inquiry and got http://www.galileo.org/inquiry-what.html not quite it but talking about some of the words and approach that are in the same vein. I think the inquiry process helps individuals make decisions - which I find helpful. Liked the feedback on the Induction as well - and your looking into issues immediately after as they were on your mind.

    ReplyDelete