Pages

Monday, 15 October 2012

Task 4a: Questions

After finishing the first module last academic year, i was already well aware that i would need to start preparing for module 2 and develop a set of questions for my line of inquiry.

I had spoken to Paula Nottingham briefly with a few questions that i was thinking of, however it seems in the last few weeks since i have gone back into teaching after a long summer break. My questions are beginning to emerge and take shape.

My biggest problem however is which route i want to go down. At the moment i run my own dance school/business as well as working as a guest teacher at a independent school. My line of inquiry will either be to find new ways in which i can expand, develop and improve my own business or how i can successfully make a transition in to dance education.

These are a few of the questions that have emerged which i hope to adress to fellow colleagues and students to help me identify what my line of inquiry will be.

1. Will having professional experience in performing and dance make me a better teacher?

2. Am i more likely to succeed in gaining jobs in education because of my professional working background and credits?

3. I'm used to teaching freelance and most of my classes are free work. Will i struggle in the future with planning lessons and working to a criteria? What can i do to make this transition easier to prepare myself?

4. What will make me a good teacher? How can i already improve on my teaching methods that i now use?

5. Are most performers that are now working as teachers because of limited work? Was this an easier way of to earn a living?

6. What do most students expect to gain from choosing dance? A stepping stone to further dance education?

7. What do parents expect from a dance class for their children? Improvement? Fun? Social?

8. How can i expand my business? What other classes can i offer?

My questions are still developing. I hope to post more......

1 comment:

  1. Hi Luke,

    quiet a range of questions, from the very specific to the very general. I can't advise which are the best questions fro you to pursue, I can only say how I would go about it. So, I think my approach would be to 'map out' (literally a drawing) of these different questions, and try to see what level of relevance that had to me. If I was feeling like I needed to be grounded and practical because my work situation, I would then address the most practical and pragmatic question (e.g. in your case, question 8).

    Some of the questions are so leading as to worthless to you. For example, you already know the response to question 1, what's the point in addressing that?

    In the end its your choice, but I would go for the eminently practical, pragmatic questions that will actually make a difference to you as a practitioner.

    ReplyDelete